Tuesday 28 August 2012

School Uniform.....Aaaaaargh!!!

As if school uniform hadn't given me enough problems as a teenager.Now I have to deal with it as a parent.
This is my school uniform from the early 1980s.It's not pretty,I warn you.

The pale yellow summer dresses showed of our pastey teenage complexions so beautifully & the stunning deck chair striped blazers made us hard to miss anywhere!
There was only one place to buy said uniform,looks exciting doesn't it? You could even buy the yellow fabric by the metre for your mum to run up a little something!

The rules were not flexible & were strictly upheld.Even in the 1980s girls were slapped for having over the knee socks (perhaps the nuns had not heard that it was against the law?) & if you dared to wear jewellery,you could expect to have it ripped from your neck.
Perhaps the danger made it even more fun to adapt the uniform that we had.Rolling the waistband over to make the skirt shorter,blazer collar turned up & sleeves rolled up.
Accessorising was fun.I have a photo of myself in my summer dress wearing a baseball jacket & pixie boots (not sure how I got away with that!) And hiding was always exciting so you didn't get 'done'!

So forgive me now,when I have little sympathy when my daughter complains about her  school uniform.
The limits are wide.It just has to be black & not jeans.The compulsory logo sweatshirt is discreet (also black) & the only niggle that I have is that the shoes must be completely black & have no logos or contrast trims,which can be difficult to find in a stylish teen acceptable style.
I'm not sure if the Hi tops,miniskirt & skinny jeans will be acceptable  at school but at least she will be dressed & leave the house fairly happy (by the standards of a stroppy teenager) & go to school next week!

I am glad that things are not so strict.Lets face it,trying to force today's teenage girls into a strict old fashioned uniform can easily result in this!


Good Luck if you are shopping for grey skirts & knee highs & sending your lovelies off to someone elses daily care next week!
Is it to early for a Whoop Whoop?

No comments:

Post a Comment